Welcome to the Year 6 class area
- Your class teacher in Year 6 is Mr Lacey. The children will be taught by myself, Mr Birrane (PE), Mrs Brooke (RE) and Mrs Petts (music). Mrs Lawson will also be in class each day to support the children with their learning.
- PE will be on Wednesdays and Thursdays so you will need to make sure your PE kit is in school on those days.
- Spelling tests will be on a Thursday.
- English homework will be due on a Thursday.
- Maths homework will be due on a Tuesday.
Summer term 1
In English we are about to embark on a new class text, ‘Iqbal – a brave boy from Pakistan’. This is a thought provoking book about the life of Iqbal Masih – a young boy who was killed after trying to free children from slave labour. We will use this text to discuss issues raised, write autobiographies and also look at some famous speeches persuading people that children have a right to an education. Our author of the term is William Shakespeare and we have already watched children in the class perform parts of speeches from Midsummer Night’s Dream and Macbeth.
In Science we are starting a topic based around electricity, during which we will study famous scientists, key discoveries as well as completing practical activities such as creating circuits and planning new inventions.
Our RE topic this term is ‘Sacred writings’; we will be looking at special books from different faiths.
Our Christian value for this half term is peace. This value will be the focus of our collective worship as well as the basis for our in class P4C sessions. The children always learn a great deal from these discussions and often find parallels between what they learn about in collective worship and what they study in the classroom.