Welcome to the Year 4 class area
Your class teacher in Year 4 is Miss Dennis who is supported by Mrs Doherty.
- PE days are Thursdays and Fridays.
- Spelling assessments will be on a Friday.Please note that the majority of children will receive the same spellings as these are the non-negotiable words that every Year 4 child must know how to spell by the end of the year.
- Maths homework will be handed out on Tuesday and should be returned on the following Tuesday.
- Ocarina lessons will be on a Thursday so remember to bring your instrument to school on these days.
- Remember to bring your Home:School diary to school everyday.
Summer term 1
In English this half term, we will be using ‘The Iron Man’ by Ted Hughes as our class text allowing children the opportunity to explore the techniques of building up suspense within their own writing. We will continue to apply the target sentences along with relative clauses and fronted adverbials. We will also continue to build up our repertoire of fabulous vocabulary, through our word of the week grammar starter. This half term we are increasing our efforts to support children learning the spellings for the non-negotiable words alongside handwriting practise.
In maths lessons, the children will continue to develop their ability to confidently and accurately use the formal written and mental calculation methods in order to solve problems involving multiplication and division. We will also be solving problems involving converting from hours to minutes; minutes to seconds; years to months; weeks to days.
Please continue to support your child by helping them to learn their Maths Passport facts to ensure that when the children are tested they have rapid recall and fluency. We endeavour to test each child at least once a week on their passport targets so please ensure that passports are in school every day.
In science this term we will be focussing on electricity. We will be constructing simple electrical circuits, identifying and naming its basic parts, including cells, wires, bulbs, switches and buzzers. The children will investigate whether or not a lamp will light in a simple series circuit, based on whether the lamp is part of a complete loop with a battery. We will also be identifying common conductors and insulators and associate metals with being good conductors.