Welcome to the Year 2 class area
- Your class teachers are Mrs Brooke and Mrs Feather who are supported by Mr Constantinou and Mrs Mettrick.
- Mr Birrane and Mrs Knowles will be teaching PE. PE is on Tuesdays and Fridays, so please make sure your P.E kit is in school every week in a pump bag with your name clearly marked on.
- Don't forget to read as much as possible and keep a note in your reading diaries. Book changing days will be every Monday and Thursday. We visit the school library every Friday where children are encouraged to borrow a book to share at home.
- Spellings will be given out and assessed on Fridays.
- Please ensure you have your Homework Diary with you each day in school.
Summer term 1
Learning Challenge: We are starting a new topic of ‘Can we have an elephant as a pet?. We will be looking at the needs of an Asian elephant, their habitat, continent of origin and whether we could keep one in school!
English: We will continue to reinforce the basic skills of handwriting, spelling, grammar and punctuation in preparation for the SATs in May. Our text for the half term is Lila and the secret of the rain. We will be looking at different sentence types and thinking in detail about writing setting descriptions.
Maths: We will begin the half term with a focus on measures. The children will be comparing and ordering lengths, mass, volume/capacity. They will choose and use appropriate standard units to estimate and measure. They will use scales, rulers, thermometers and measuring vessels in the practical sessions. Every week the children will continue to be involved in a basic skills lesson linked to one of the four calculations.
Science: In science we will be exploring the question ‘Can we grow a beanstalk like Jasper?’. By exploring this question children will observe and describe how seeds and beans grow into mature plants and discover what plants need to grow and stay healthy.
RE: Our RE topic for this term is ‘Our World’. We will be looking at how different faiths view the natural world and contribute to the wellbeing of the environment.
Just a reminder that PE days continue to be Tuesday and Friday. Spellings will be assessed on a Friday. Book changing days are Monday and Thursday. We visit the school library every Monday where children are encouraged to borrow a book to share at home.